Friday, April 27, 2012

El Tercer Reich




The Third Reich (2011)
Roberto Bolaño

This kind of game creates a pretty interesting documentary urge. It’s as if we want to know exactly how everything was done in order to change what was done wrong.

            It’s absolutely astounding to me that one of the greatest and most interesting writers of the last twenty years could have such a backlog of unpublished work, enough for his publishers and heirs to put out a half-dozen books since his death in 2003. Whoever rejected this book in 1989, 1990 must surely be kicking themselves now (if it was in fact rejected, to be honest I don’t actually know). If I had books like this just sitting around in my desk drawer doing nothing I’d be set for life. One facet of Bolaño’s legend--his cultish and confusing mythology--that I’ve always found particularly enthralling is that his entrance into fiction writing was motivated, at least partially, by purely mercenary reasons: he spent the first part of his life as a vagabond poet, wandering up and down Latin America, until finally settling down in Spain, where he got himself a wife and kids, and knowing that he was dying and that there is no money in poetry, no money at all, turned to fiction writing in order to secure his children’s future after his passing. This was his first book, the first one he wrote, and I like to imagine him sitting at his desk every day with dollar signs in his eyes, knowing that this was the only way he could do it. Most aspiring writers, if they wanted to make a big pile of cash, would write cheesy patriarchal detective fiction, or politically disgusting children’s fantasy novels, or something similar, but not Roberto Bolaño, he’s way too smart and ambitious for that and he knows he’s still got to look at himself in the mirror. His first novel is of course, like everyone else’s first novel, a metaphor using tabletop war games to explain how we still ache for the return of fascism (or a time machine to reverse the mistakes of the past) even if we don’t realize it or think better of ourselves (how liberal and educated we are, certainly no Nazis; our in-laws are Jewish, we have a gay nephew, one of our neighbors is black, we could never be a horrible fascist.)

            The book is pretty simple: it’s the journal of a young man, Udo Berger, the German champion of a board game called The Third Reich, who goes on vacation to a seaside Spanish town with his pretty girlfriend Ingeborg. While there they meet another German couple, go out drinking and dancing, sit on the beach, fraternize with vaguely threatening locals the Lamb and the Wolf, Udo has some sexual tension with the woman who runs the hotel but she keeps her legs shut so he humps a maid instead, at night the sea is black, thoughtless and menacing like a predator, and so on. There’s a death and eventually all the Germans return to Germany one way or another, save Udo, who locks himself in his dark reeking hotel room to practice and refine his revolutionary new Third Reich strategy with a disciple of sorts: a muscular and horrifically scarred hulk who rents pedal boats and sleeps on the beach, not Spanish, possibly South American, a grunting mysterious threat named El Quemado: The Burned One, The Burn Victim.

            Though this is Bolaño’s first novel and it’s pretty rough, not as mature, his prose isn’t as good as it would later be and the dialogue is sometimes cringe worthy and it meanders quite a bit, even for Bolaño, but it’s still quite evident that this is a Bobby Bolaño book and that name on the cover means you are in for something good. It’s a real mark of quality. It’s not his best book (The Savage Detectives or 2666) but it’s certainly not his worst (looking at you, Amulet). All his hallmarks are there: long ruminations on literature and poetry and how they relate to state violence, tourists (outsiders) who travel to a place and discover the real outsiders, the people really on the fringe who drag the tourists into their ugly underworld, our latent unrealized potential for fascism, narrators or central characters who may or may not be going slowly insane or just falling apart from pressure and stress, vague threats from indeterminate sources, generalized modern world bourgeois anxiety, and the blistering away of the mundane and banal surface to reveal the violence and darkness at the core of our societies and ourselves.

            A Bob Bolaño book is always such a special gift. They excite a hunger in me, a real voraciousness. An almost animalistic feral book love. I feel like I’m a pretty slow, plodding reader but not when I’m reading Bolaño. Bolaño sets me on fire: I finished Nazi Literature in the Americas in a single afternoon, 2666 in a week. The Third Reich took me a couple days. I’ve been dog sitting for my girlfriend’s parents for the last few days, gentle relaxed mornings with a cup of coffee and this Vizsla on my lap, when I get off work evenings with a beer and a pastrami sandwich and the dog again… what a life. A fellow could get used to this. If they kept on putting out Roberto Bolaño books like they've been doing I’d be in paradise.

            Roberto Bolaño is my favorite writer for a lot of reasons. I recommend him to anyone who asks and will listen. I can and will ramble on about Bolaño when I’m drunk at a bar but this is the first time I’ve really tried to sit down and articulate what I like about him. Almost all of the books I read were written and published before I was born by writers who died before I was born (there’s so many books out there that I can’t really read all the classics and keep up with what’s being published now so I stick mostly with the classics) and I feel like a lot of books that have been published recently that I have read just plain aren’t very good (up your ass with a stick Dave Eggers and Brett Easton Ellis) and have little to nothing say and no interesting ways to say it, and that the world of American letters is in a really sorry state, so I guess what I’m trying to say is that I think Bolaño is the first writer I’ve read whose books make me feel like I’m part of something important, a secret discovery, a secret someone took to the woods and buried in a shallow hole in the roots of a tree and I later dug up, horrified; in on the ground floor of a zeitgeist, a movement, and that part of that movement is mine and mine alone. I feel included and in on something. I also feel like a lot of authors popular these days are fake transgressive, like they play act at being shocking and avant-garde but they’re really just conservative, tedious and boring (for example Chuck Palahuniuk, the worst writer in the history of the English language) whereas with Bolaño I don’t feel like he’s being phony about anything. I find his prose and writing skill worthy of worship and the level of detail he can get into a novel astounding. He speaks to me like we're equals. He’s the perfect writer (a eulogist, really) for the end of the 20th Century, a hundred years that were so ugly for so many people. I think I might be obsessed with him and I’m not at all worried about it.

            Also, and I don’t have any proof of this but it’s something I feel has to be true: there aren’t many American writers around these days that I could think of who could produce a politically acceptable novel. Ninety percent of American writers teach creative writing at some public college somewhere and, therefore, have a stake in maintaining the status quo even if they think they don’t, and aren’t going to rock the boat, not in any real way. Sort of like how NBC is never really going to tell you how many children were disintegrated by General Electric cruise missiles today, or how many mutants were born in a fifty-mile radius around a Superfund site. The writer is institutionalized, part of the state apparatus. What a tragedy. Of course there’s worse things in the world than a public college (nearly everything I can think of is worse) so maybe I’m overreacting but I don’t think it’s helped to get any teeth back into our limp wrist culture, as if anyone actually wants some teeth, and if the state is violent and obscene, and a writer works for the state, doesn’t that just make him part of the propaganda machine? It’s a stupid and confused feeling, I know, but this is what I think about when I read Bolaño.

            Mostly though, what I like about Bolaño is that I find him inspirational, if that doesn’t sound too dorky and stupid. When I read him I get the feeling that I could do this, that anyone could—but most importantly that I could—that in Bolaño I’ve found someone who speaks the same language as me, after years of searching, and that language is pretty awesome to hear (I can finally have a conversation with someone), that it’s in my grasp, and that all it takes is a determination and a desire to paint outside the lines, to stand against boring institutionalized MFA literature, especially the really pernicious kind that infects this country and has since the 1970s and makes us stupider and duller and supports the violent sadistic goals of the state, to stand for something and put it into words. That it doesn’t take a fancy NYU writing degree to write a book, just a bibliography and a pair of eyes and one or two ears and some balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment